cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith

Clockwork Prince (The Infernal Devices #2) by Cassandra Clare

Clockwork Prince (Infernal Devices) - Cassandra Clare

A problem I didn’t note in my Clockwork Angel review, but was made rather clear by readingClockwork Prince, was that the characters do not feel Victorian in the least. They feel like the smirking, hip teenage demon hunters of Clare’s The Mortal Instruments. There’s just far too much sarcasm used. Oscar Wilde was indeed known for his dry wit, but it wasn’t really common for Victorians to be outwardly sarcastic with each other. They did things with style and subtlety. Even if my history of Victorian parlance isn’t entirely accurate here, I’m pretty damn sure that Victorian gentlemen wouldn’t roll their eyes at the cook and go: “Oh God, you’re Irish, can you make anything without potatoes?”

Another problem with this book was how utterly boring it was. I’m talking fall asleep whilst skim reading boring. The twists weren’t clever, the subplots weren’t interesting, and sometimes, characters go somewhere, discover something, and then… drop it for a bit. The revelation about Will’s character didn’t make me feel anything for him other than imagining some wangsty Victorian fellow trying to come across as a broody heartthrob, and falling flat on his skinny little derriere.

And you know, there’s a final volume of this that’s going to be released this year. Then Clare is free to work all she wants on Lady Midnight, the first volume in her new series. Set in the future. Which focuses on a girl brought into the world of the Shadowhunters and the two boys who she has to decide between. Oh joy. 1.5/5.

Source: http://nessasky.wordpress.com/2012/03/31/book-review-clockwork-prince-by-cassandra-clare