cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Notre-Dame of Paris (The Hunchback of Notre Dame) - Victor Hugo, John Sturrock Like most people born in the 1980s/1990s, my first introduction to this story was through the Disney film, which is a rather loose adaptation, let's say. I had been on a bit of a Disney kick back in October, and decided to read this after realising just how good it was.However, having differences from the Disney movie is not a bad thing - it's not like I was expecting the book to be completely faithful to the film, and vice versa. It is Disney, after all, and I don't think they could show... SPOILERS! Quasimodo being forced to kidnap Esmeralda, Esmeralda being framed by Frollo for Phoebus' murder, and Frollo raping Esmeralda, who is 16 in the book (looks to be in her twenties in the Disney film). Whatever differences there are in adaptation, it's still a fantastic novel, and well worth the read. I read the Wordsworth unabridged edition, and although there were lots of paragraphs that just describe the setting, as well as, bizarrely, its relation to things such as architecture and language, it still creates a very rich setting. Hugo also has a penchant for making the more educated characters spout lots and lots of Latin, allusions to Greek mythology, etcetera, but I got used to it after a while. Most of the characters are really sympathetic and I was really sad by the end of it all. Even the characters one isn't supposed to feel sorry for!All in all, a brilliant novel by the master of French romantic literature, and I recommend everyone reads it some time in their life. :)