cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
The Ask and the Answer  - Patrick Ness Wow. Patrick Ness' follow-up to The Knife of Never Letting Go sure is depressing. Horrifyingly so, in fact. I actually found this account of a war taking place on a fictional planet really hard to read at times. You know, The Knife of Never Letting Go must refer to the metaphorical dagger that Patrick Ness constantly twists into my heart with almost every chapter of this book.After the horrible cliffhanger of the first book that made me seek out the two sequels almost immediately, Todd and Viola have been separated. And President Mayor Prentiss makes sure to keep them apart and pays frequent visits. Each and every one being creepier than the last. Let's just say that he's a completely despicable villain with no redeeming qualities whatsoever. Todd is put to work herding and supervising the Spackle, who are now being treated as inhumanely as possible (not the best career path for a guilt-ridden lad who killed one of them only a few weeks back) with Davy, the Mayor's son, and Viola has to work at a house of healing. Mayor Prentiss has ensured that men and women are segregated, and his utopian spiel gets more and more frenzied as time goes on. And of course, there's nothing scarier than a man in power who insists on his own brand of godliness and righteousness whilst committing unspeakable atrocities.One of these atrocities being a 'cure' for the Noise. For those of you who haven't read the Chaos Walking books yet, the Noise is basically a form of telepathy that cannot be switched off. The Spackle, the native aliens on this planet, cannot speak conventionally. They can click their mouths a little bit, but otherwise, they rely entirely on the Noise to communicate. So when Mayor Prentiss takes it away, you get the idea. It's awful seeing how badly they're treated in this new world – they're bolted like livestock, and killed or beaten for minor transgressions. And eventually, Todd makes a decision that sets a massive war in motion between the Spackle, the humans, and a group of terrorists whose side Viola might or might not be on. Oh crap.This book was a pure thrill to read from start to finish. There are so many heart-wrenching decisions that Todd and Viola make in this volume, so many (if I may use the Internet vernacular) OMG and WTF moments (usually thanks to local awful human being Mayor Prentiss), and I just could not put it down. Absolutely amazing, never sluggish, always thrilling, and fully deserves its 5/5 rating.(This review is also available on my blog: http://book-wyrm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-ask-and-answer-chaos-walking-2-by.html)