cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
War Horse  - Michael Morpurgo Michael Morpurgo is an absolutely fantastic writer. I grew up with a lot of his work, and I even remember writing my first book report on Kensuke's Kingdom ten or eleven years ago at primary school.Of course, War Horse has a big advertising campaign on now in the book shops, since the movie has just come out. I was supposed to be going to see it this weekend, but plans fell through and so I consoled myself by getting the book instead. It's a relatively short read, clocking in at just under 200 pages, and well worth the one or two sittings it will take to get through it.I have read some criticisms that the writing is a little bit preachy and anti-war, but most British, German, and French soldiers back then genuinely did think the First World War was meaningless. (Say hello to my many years of reading and analysing WW1 poetry and soldier biographies in English Literature classes!) So it should be no surprise that most of the soldiers that Joey runs into all have something to say about the state the world has found itself in.I found the story absolutely beautiful, but it does become a bit of a drag during the second act. The third act is where everything reaches true emotional intensity, and I will not give away the ending. I'll only say that I shed quite a few tears. As someone who almost never cries at books, this came as a bit of a surprise, when the book was over and I was a snivelling wreck. Absolutely brilliant, and I can't wait to see the film now. 5/5.