cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Angelfall (Penryn & the End of Days, #1) - Susan Ee My news feed on GoodReads has been absolutely set alight by this book. There are so many positive reviews, so much love for this one book, the first part of a planned series. But does it deserve the applause of book reviewers and bloggers, some of the fiercest critics on the internet? Yes. Yes it does.I loved this book. It took me a while to get through it, but not because the pacing was dull, or anything. In fact, the characters are what inspired me to keep going on.Raffe was... oh gods, Raffe. He seems like the stereotypical bad boy love interest that plagues young adult fiction, but he's so much better than that. Susan Ee wrote him as a badass with unclear motives, not some simpering tool who whines about being an angel/vampire/werewolf/fairy/mermaid/selkie/fallen angel/whatever. Throughout the novel, I was completely fascinated to discover Raffe's motivations. At first, he's completely at the mercy of our heroine, Penryn. Despite being kept as a tool to get into the angels' stronghold by Penryn, Raffe slowly forms a partnership with her, even though he often throws insults her way. I loved him.Penryn was great too. We're talking about a girl who has extensive knowledge of self-defence, and assesses the situations she finds herself in and acts accordingly. HELL. YEAH. So many heroines in young adult fiction would do something completely stupid, but no. Although she gets separated from her mother and little sister, she doesn't mope. She chases away a gang of looters, proves her worth in a camp of freedom fighters, and even in moments of utter terror, fights tooth and nail for her survival.One of the more memorable characters for me, however, is Penryn's mother. She might be out of the picture for most of the book, but her presence has seriously affected Penryn and her sister Paige's lives.One of the more unmemorable characters, however, was purer than pure Paige, Penryn's little sister who has been left crippled after a traumatic incident when she was left alone with their mother, whose sanity tends to swing on a dime. Tragic, yes, but Paige really needed more development. Paige has the same problem that Prim does in The Hunger Games. She's a kindhearted little girl, fine, our main heroine loves her to pieces, fine... but we needed to see more of her. I didn't really like the twist near the end of the novel either, but commenting on that would be opening another can of worms.The writing was also great. Not the most descriptive or flowery in the world, but it got the job done and worked really well. It was really exciting and engaging, especially towards the end, where things took a really creepy turn, then got a little bit meh.A lot of reviewers say that this book really is a breath of fresh air compared to all the sappy young adult romances featuring guardian or fallen angels, such as Hush, Hush by Becca Fitzpatrick or Fallen by Lauren Kate. The combination of two popular sub-genres of young adult fiction – a dystopian setting with a supernatural romance – works brilliantly here, and it's also nice to see that Susan Ee has done her Biblical research.I'm going to give it a 4/5. I really enjoyed the book, but there was something keeping me from really enjoying it. However, I still highly recommend it, and since it's £0.86/0.99US$ on most eBook stores, why not spend a pound/dollar/Euro/whatever your currency is and see for yourself.(This review is also available on my blog: http://book-wyrm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/angelfall-by-susan-ee.html)