cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
The Crimson Spell, Volume 1 - Ayano Yamane I don't quite know how to review The Crimson Spell. It seems to have a very good reputation as a BL manga, and I've been recommended it time and time again.So when I started reading, I was kind of interested. It's set in a fantasy world with a cursed prince and the sly magician who wants to provoke the demon laying inside the prince out of curiosity and he does this by… breaking the prince's anti-demon ward shackles and having sex with him....Okay!That's barely 25 pages in, mind you. I don't mind titillation, but good god. It's like the author crammed her world-building into the first 20 pages. We know this magician character for 4 pages, and then we're rushed into a really stupid, unnecessary sex scene. Was Ayano Yamane terrified that if she didn't put a sex scene in as soon as possible, she'd lose readers? 'Okay readers, here's your world and characters and exposition, BAM, SEX. ARE YOU HAPPY NOW?' Same thing happens in the second chapter. The plot trundles along for a bit, then BAM, SEX SCENE.Also, am I the only one who finds it really creepy that Hall only really is attracted to Prince Val in his demon form, and has sex with him in that form to gain some kind of magical sustenance, during which the prince is mostly silent? And how the prince doesn't even seem to remember anything once he's back in human form except for a sore back? Seriously, the formula for the first volume manga is basically fantasy fetch quest, then sex, then back to fantasy fetch quests, some sex, some mild peril, then sex again. I'm not expecting a literary masterpiece, but I do prefer for characters to have a bit more romance and to fall in love a lot slower than 'hey I just met you, and this is crazy, but I find you attractive, so screw me maybe'.Despite all my confusion towards why this has been so highly recommended to me, by friends as well as this website (seriously, it crops up pretty often on my recommendations page), it does have pretty artwork, in both character design and artwork, and the characters do have the occasional funny moment with each other… but it's really nothing to write home about. 2/5.(This review is also available on my blog: http://book-wyrm.blogspot.co.uk/2012/07/the-crimson-spell-1-by-ayano-yamane.html)