cecil

Nessa's Thoughts

Just a British girl who reads a bit too much.

The Dead Zone
Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison
Piper Kerman
The Cuckoo's Calling
Robert Galbraith
Watching the English: The Hidden Rules of English Behaviour - Kate Fox In "Watching The English" anthropologist Kate Fox takes a revealing look at the quirks, habits and foibles of the English people. She puts the English national character under her anthropological microscope, and finds a strange and fascinating culture, governed by complex sets of unspoken rules and byzantine codes of behaviour. The rules of weather-speak. The ironic-gnome rule. The reflex apology rule. The paranoid-pantomime rule. Class indicators and class anxiety tests. The money-talk taboo and many more...Okay, this sounds like a fairly interesting read. I'm hoping there's much more to this than what's on the blurb, however, because at the moment it's sounding like: "LOL AREN'T WE BRITS KOOKY!"The rules of weather-speak: we honestly don't talk about the weather no more than any other nationality.The ironic gnome rule: With the power of Google Books, I discovered that this refers to a conversation with a 'sniffy upper-middle class' guy who kept one gnome on his front lawn as an ironic statement about class. Personally, I would have punted the little gnome over the horizon and told him to stop being such a pretentious twat.The reflex apology rule: You mean saying sorry to everything? Google Books didn't provide any information here. Guess I'll have to find my own copy.And I have no idea what the 'paranoid-pantomime rule' is. I'm curious about the author's view on class, though.